The Anne Frank House
Tel. +31 (0)20-5567100 Fax +31 (0)20-6207999
Anne Frank was one of the Jewish victims of Nazi persecution
during the second world war. After Nazi Germany invaded the Netherlands
in 1940, increasingly severe anti-Jewish measures began here as well.
The Frank family tried to escape by going into hiding. On July 1942,
Otto Frank, Edith Frank-Hollander and their daughters Margot and Anne
hid in this building on the Prinsengracht. They where later joined by Mr. and
Mrs Daan, their sun Peter and Mr. Dussel. The building consists of two parts :
a front house and a back annex. Otto Frank's business was located in the
front house. The uppermost floors of the back anexe became the hiding place.
After more than two years the group was betrayed and deported. Anne and Margot
died of typhus in Bergen-Belsen in March 1945, only a few weeks before this
concentration camp was liberated. Otto Frank, the only member of the group to
survive, returned after the war.
During the hiding period Anne Frank kept a diary. In it she described daily life
in the back anexe, the isolation and the fear of discovery. Anne's diary survived
the war: after the betrayal it was found by Miep Gies, one of the helpers. When it
was confirmed that Anne would not be returning, Miep gave the manuscripts to
Otto Frank. In 1947 the first Dutch edition appeared. Since then the diary has been
published in more then 55 languages.
Daily: from 9 AM to 7 PM
From March 29th to September 1st: 9 AM to 9 PM
On May 4th: 9 AM to 7 PM
On December 31st: 9 AM to 5 PM
On January 1st and December 25th: 12 Noon to 7 PM
Last admittance: 30 minutes prior to closing
Closed on Yom Kippur (in 2002, on September 16th)
Because of the steep stairway, the museum is not accessible to
people with walking difficulties