Nwz Voorburgwal 147
1012 RJ Amsterdam
tel. +31 (0)20-6248698 Fax +31 (0)20-6233819
See also www.kon-paleisamsterdam.nl
The Royal Palace of Amsterdam was build in the 17th century
as the new city hall of Amsterdam. After the signing of the peace
treaty of Munster in 1648, Amsterdam started to execute its
ambitious plan for a new city hall.
The city council chose Jacob van Campen's design for a
large and impressive building. The power and wealth of
the city of Amsterdam in the recently established Republic
of the Netherlands are reflected in the building and its
These ideals have been portrayed
in the sculptures by Artus Quellien and in the paintings
by e.g. Govert Flinck and Ferdinand Bol.
When King Louis Napoleon came to Amsterdam in 1808
he had the city hall turned into a royal palace. The large
collection of Empire style furniture, chandeliers and clocks
date from this period. The palace is still used for official
functions by her Majesty the Queen. In the Summer the palace
is open to the public. Guided tours for groups can be arranged
by appointment all year round.
October 14 till October 30 Royal Subsidy for painting,
Queen Beatrix makes this award to six youg Duth Artists.
Summer months, Easter and October half term.
Every day from 12.30 pm. 5 pm.